Monday, November 24, 2014

Example of Pencil Shading – a Tutorial


Some people have asked me how I shade my drawings. Well the truth is, it varies. Here, I will demonstrate one way I tackle drawing and shading in hopes that this helps clear some doubts for those who wish to learn at least little bit about drawing and shading with pencils. With this approach, you really won’t need anything fancy to draw, so this is great for beginners!!! (I hope)
 
Tools:
Mechanical pencil
Eraser
Tissue (Klinex or any brand, not the scented kind please)
Regular printer paper or cardboard paper for more durability





I like to start a drawing with some basic guide lines to show me what the subject is like. These can be as simple or complex as you like. Keep in mind that it should not be your goal to copy something exactly, unless of course you are trying to replicate a photo, or a portrait of someone, but save that fancy stuff for another time! We want to just practice basics here, after all!!






I then closely study the details of my subject and start sketching things like the legs.







Some parts may seem more complicated, so you may want to break them up into boxes and circles, like I did with the hands and the elbows and arms.
 





You may continue drawing the details in with the help of the guide lines. You may start erasing them whenever you feel comfortable to ensure clean shading later on.





Here, I started to draw in more details such as the eye and the branch this Pokemon, Groovyle, is standing on. I don’t like how the eye turned out AT ALL, though!! But I can fix it by simply erasing it and trying again, so no worries!! :D






There we go! Now the initial sketch is pretty much complete. Doesn’t Groovyle look much fiercer now? Some people stop at this stage, but if you wish, you may continue on to the shading part. Be sure you are at least pretty darn satisfied with your sketch first, though, since changing your drawing later on will be much more difficult, and will probably look more dirty and messy!!





Moving on to the shading. I start by adding some lighter lines where I know the borders of the shading will be, and I fill some places where I know the tone will be darker with some straight lines. This can add some style, but you can do it however you please. It just helps me visualize a little more.







Now, as you can see, I’ve added some different kind of shading and filled in a few more areas of shadow.






At this point, I have lightly blended the shaded areas with a tissue, being very careful not to “bleed” into the lighter areas. Doing this may take a little practice, just try to fold your tissue and lightly press it on the paper, while stroking in the direction you are to blend into. You may use circular motions, light dabbing, or whatever floats your boat!






Continue adding more shade and blending the lighter areas. Be sure to use the clean part of the tissue every time you shade lighter areas, and go back to the dark areas if you need to, to make them look darker of course.




Here I have moved on to shading the leaves on Groovyle’s arms. I have also darkened its body further. I have also started shading in the tree, but with squiggly lines to emulate a wrinkly texture, because trees are wrinkly like that XD






Once all the areas have been blended, and all the shadows have been retouched in case the blending left them too light, you may call this practically done!!! However, if you wish, you may add highlights as you will see in the next picture.






Now with the eraser, very carefully, I have added some highlights on the body of the pokemon. I also did something to the branch to make it blend into the background more. You can do this by lightly tapping the eraser on the area to make it lighter. The eraser must be clean, and smooth, however. If you wish, you may stand back and see If there are details you forgot. Don’t feel ashamed to go back and change a few things. Once you are happy, you may sign your work and show it off to your friends!! (or give it to that boy/girl you like hehe)



No comments:

Post a Comment